Wednesday 31 August 2011

Setting Intentions

For about ten years, I kept scrapbooks. Scrapbooks filled with images and words that I found inspirational and which all amounted to a sort of dreamscape of hopes for my future. Having floated around through university and jobs, in search of a place of work that was fulfilling and a home that was comforting, I looked to other people's existences to help me find my own.

Now in a job that I love, a home that I adore and in a life which is becoming more and more like the pages of the magazines that I aspired to be a part of, I can view the scrapbooks that I painstakingly filled as a collection of intentions for my future. This intention setting has moved from something unintended to a very definite process that I undertake every few months, to help keep me on track and as a reminder of what I really want and need in my life. The process helps me to clear my head of all the things that I get distracted by and helps me to find some clarity when sometimes I feel quite befuddled.

I take time to sit, to think, to light a candle, say a prayer and make a list of things that I hope to happen, priorities I intend to make and nourishment that I need. It doesn't take long, but it is quality time and it does me the world of good. In due course I revisit my lists of intentions and say a quiet thank you for all that has been received.

Intentions are like prayers. You clear your mind, state your case and leave the rest up to God, the universe and everything, allowing life to come together before you in ways that you hope and dream of.

It works. Try it.